Saturday, January 25, 2020

My "Bottle Buddy"


Written on Tuesday, January 21st, 2020.

As I sit here at the cancer centre, for my 6th and final chemo treatment (at least for now), I can’t help but think about my cancer journey. I wrote about my chemo treatments in a previous post: My Chemo 101.  My six, three week cycles of chemo, will be coming to an end on Sunday. Funny how it seems to have gone by so quickly yet so slowly at the same time. After today’s chemo infusions, the five day countdown clock begins as they put on my portable chemo aka known as my "bottle buddy"! After that, I am free for the foreseeable future! 

Immediately after my chemo infusions at the cancer centre, they attach my portable chemo bottle to my PICC line to take home. This bottle contains a  drug which is delivered slowly over the next five day period. It is the third drug in my chemo "cocktail", each having a specific action to kill any rapidly growing cells in my body.

My "bottle buddy" follows me around 24/7 for the next 5 days. It joins me for my morning shower or bath. It travels with me wherever I go throughout the week. It has attended a Maple Leafs game, a Toronto Rock game and numerous restaurants (thank goodness) over the past few months lol! I wonder where we will venture in our final week together? I try to hide it under a sweater, hoodie or jacket. It does create a noticeable bulge and can easily become an unwanted conversation starter (though I would rather not talk about it).  

My "bottle buddy" is a constant and visible reminder of my cancer. It is difficult to ignore even if you try. It feels like I am carrying a mini water canteen with me. It moves around a lot, wiggles and flips/flops side to side as I move.  The plastic tubes get tangled in the holding pouch or long sleeve shirts I wear to disguise it. I must admit that it can get annoying. I try to forget that I am wearing it, with limited success. So as the saying goes, "short term pain for long term gain", right?

It even comes with me to bed each night. My "bottle buddy" has even driven a wedge in my marriage! It comes between Michelle and I in bed! It has its own designated pillow (to keep the bottle vertical during the night). I often wake up during the night to find my bottle has fallen horizontally or the attached tube is across my face. I correct it and try to get back to sleep. This happens a few times a night. Broken sleep reminds me of our baby days. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing it when taking a late night bathroom run, it quickly reminds me, flopping around. Luckily it has not detached. That would not be good. 

I have mixed emotions about my bottle buddy! I know that it is there to help me. It provides me with my much needed chemo medication and protection. I understand that.  This is an important part of my treatment plan. At my pre chemo appointment yesterday, my oncologist indicated that my cancer has stabilized, but not gone. We choose to take this as a positive sign. Our plan is to "beat the average", and overall I feel pretty good.

I need to thank the anonymous volunteer that hand knitted my portable bottle buddy holder. At the cancer centre you can find hand knitted chemo bottle holders and a variety of knitted hats for those patients that have lost their hair. This is a small but amazing gesture for cancer patients.  If you are an avid knitter,  please consider knitting and donating some of these items to your local cancer centre. I am sure that they would appreciate it. It does make a difference in the lives of cancer patients.

As this is my last chemo treatment (for now), my PICC line will be removed later this week and this will be the last I will see of my bottle buddy. 

A bitter sweet goodbye. Thanks for your efforts in my cancer fight.

Farewell bottle buddy!

Richard

4 comments:

  1. Richard, I'm Elsie13 on cancerconnection. I had standard 'at the hospital' chemo for ovarian cancer. Blogging is a great thing! I have a question: do you have to refill the bottle at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elsie13,

      Sorry for the late response. No I do not have to refill the bottle at home. There is enough chemo in the bottle to last the entire 5 days. After 5 days it does get removed at home. Thanks for asking. Stay strong!

      Delete
    2. I also have a picc line the bottle lasts for a week then I have to go back to the hospital to get a new full one on the chemo ward done by the nurses

      Delete
    3. Does your dressing get itchy? Mine does and sometimes I just can't stop scratching it. How about you?

      Delete