Friday, September 20, 2019

You are not Alone!

This new journey that I am on is really a solo journey. It is my journey to face. My body chose to allow cancer cells to form. This is my disease to battle but I am not alone!

I am so thankful to have Michelle by my side each step of the way. It is so difficult to process information and details as well as deal with the emotions and impact of what is happening to you in the moment.  Michelle has always been my support. I am grateful to have her with me each day to help navigate my emotions. 

What would I do without my family. Although the news of my cancer diagnosis has devastated them, they stand strong in supporting me. How difficult it must be for them to cope with this. The uncertainty, the helplessness they must feel. Each dealing with the news in their own personal way. I don’t know what I would do if it was not for my family. They are the reason for continuing to fight this battle. 

Their lives have also changed forever. Our lives have been split into two: Life before cancer and life after cancer. As we maneuver through this new reality, we are constantly adjusting and adapting but at the same time trying to keep some normalcy in our daily routines and lives. Some days are harder than others. I am so fortunate to have my family supporting me along this journey.

It has also been difficult for my extended family. I know that they don’t know what to say. They also feel helpless and are at a loss of how to help. My hope is that they will focus their attention on helping Michelle and my three children manage their new reality. Helping and supporting them as they support me.

The outpouring of support from my friends, colleagues and others has also been overwhelming. Positive thoughts, messages, notes, get togethers have all help me. Laughter is so important at this time. Not much to laugh at really these days but my friends and colleagues have provided me with special moments where I can laugh even for a moment or two and forget about what I am going through.  Words can not express how it feels to know that others have you in their thoughts and prayers and are thinking of you. I count them all as important members of my army helping me to fight this battle. 

When I look around me, I see so many others silently battling this disease. Just like me, I’m sure they did not want to fight this battle. They didn’t want to deal with all of the pills, needles and equipment being hooked up to them. We are all alone but all together at the same time. We each enter our radiation room individually and sit in our individual chemo recliners getting our treatments but we all share a common focus, fighting our cancer battle. Alone but together. 

No one should have to face this journey alone. If you know someone who is, please reach out to them to offer some encouragement, positive energy or just be there to listen to them if they need it. It takes a team of supporters to win this battle. Be apart of someone’s team! My support group is strong but others my may need some reinforcements.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment