Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Blessing or Burden?

Delayed One Week

Last Monday I went to get my blood work done in preparation for my second round of chemo. Blood work is usually done one day prior to chemo to ensure that you are healthy and strong enough for the treatment. When meeting with my medical oncologist to review the blood test results last week, I was surprised to find out that my white blood cells were lower then expected and he informed me that I would need to wait an additional week before I could start my chemo treatment. This came as a surprise as I felt healthy, optimistic and my eating has improved so much over the past week. I was concerned that this was perhaps a bad sign. I have only had one round of chemo so far, was my body not able to handle the strong chemo meds. What would this mean for me?


Blessing or Burden?

My chemo plan calls for one week of chemo and then two weeks off. During the chemo week, I spend one day in the hospital to get two out of the three medication intravenously. This takes approximately 5 hours in the hospital. The third medication is given to me at the end of the session in a bottle containing a balloon of medication. I take home the bottle and wear 24/7 for five days. It contains slow release meds. I plan my life around these treatments. I usually don't feel that great for three or four days after chemo day at the hospital and then gradually start to feel better. During the second and third weeks my health (and mood) improves so we use this time to get back to our 'to do' list and our 'bucket list' items. 

Michelle and I are planners. We like to make lists and schedule things. We have a white board in our kitchen to record upcoming events and use a monthly calendar to record appointments and important  dates to remember. Yes, we are both GOLD personalities.  We find that if you set objectives, write it down, we are more likely to make it happen. As well, with the multitude of appointments, we needed to find a way to keep track of them all. We keep a binder of print outs of all our appointments as well.  Thank goodness for dry erase boards! 

The uncertainty  of my appointment schedule and treatment plan, really creates limitations on these pre-made plans. One thing that is for sure, our lives are now much more unpredictable. This can cause additional stress for those of us that like to have a plan and be organized. We have had to adjust and modify on the fly. We have to adapt and change direction as needed. On the positive side this gives us a chance to live in the moment and be more spontaneous!  But definitely out of our comfort zone.

I have come to understand that many cancer patients have had to wait additional time between chemo treatments and that this is something to ensure that our bodies have recovered enough to be able to handle the next treatment.  The goal is to build up and strengthen, so it can handle being broken down again!  It is the darn cancer cells we want to kill out, but some healthy cells are collateral damage along the way.  It is difficult to wait as I want to move forward to try to remove this disease from my body as quickly as possible. Patience is needed.

So is it a blessing or burden to have to wait another week? I would have to say it is both. On the one hand clearly I am responding to the treatment, but on the other hand could a delay also give the cancer cells a chance to regroup?  Flexibility and patience are my new best friends. These are new character traits that I am learning to add to my repertoire!  

Richard



  


3 comments:

  1. Stay positive and roll with the changes. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had your second chemo? How did it go? I'm Elsie13 in cancerconnection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went well. Thanks for asking! Just a few side effects.

      Delete