Sunday, November 3, 2019

Cancer touches so many of us!

One thing I have learned from starting this blog is that cancer touches most of us in so many different ways.  I have had many people share with me their personal cancer journey (some of which have kept it private from others). I have also been told stories of family member or close friends who are currently going through cancer treatment, are cancer survivors, or who lost their battle with cancer. Each story was unique but all had a common theme of struggle, support and love.

Some of the stories are inspiring and hopeful while others remind us that cancer doesn't always have a happy ending.  Even if you are not personally going through cancer yourself, most of us have witnessed or have been a part of someone else's journey. Cancer touches our heart and soul and provides us with examples of both triumph and tragedy. 

I choose to focus my blog posts on the positives rather than the negatives, while at the same time exposing the real emotional tug of war that plays out in your head and heart. This doesn't mean that I don't have moments of defeat, worry, anxiety and even depression. I do.  I try to quickly pull myself out of these negative thoughts, as they are not helpful. There is no need to have an ongoing pity party! I've had the pity party, I've tucked it away, and try to move on.  To me, pity parties are destructive and lead you down a spiral of self pity and "why me" moments. 

These emotional moments are not exclusive to me as I can see first hand the impact of my cancer treatments and prognosis on my wife and family. I think it is important to acknowledge and support those around the cancer patient.  Although they are not experiencing the physical symptoms of the disease, they are definitely dealing with the emotional aspects just as much as I am, or perhaps even more so. Each member of my family are dealing with this journey in their own personal way. 

If I could have one wish, it would be that I could shelter my wife and family from this disease and all of its impact on our daily lives. I wish that I could take away all of the worry, uncertainty and heartache.  This I know is not possible. What is possible is to stay positive, be thankful for what we have, to continue with as much normalcy as possible and to cherish each day that we have together.

My family is my everything,

Richard





No comments:

Post a Comment