Saturday, December 7, 2019

Supporting Cancer Research

Over the years I have supported a number of cancer fundraisers both as an individual and through my role as an elementary school teacher & principal. These include the Terry Fox Foundation, Movember, Princess Margaret Journey to Conquer Cancer, CIBC Run for a Cure, Canadian Cancer Society daffodil sales & Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have always been proud to support these charities because of the work that they do. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that one day I would be the beneficiary of the research, advancements and initiatives that some of these fundraising dollars would support through these donations.

It is amazing to see all of the advancements in cancer care treatment. At the same time, it is surprising to see that treatment options still have not progressed that much over the years.  We still have a long way to go. One day I feel that we will look back on the current treatment options (radiation and chemotherapy) and wonder how we could have ever purposely put radioactive materials and poisons in our bodies to battle cancer. There must be a better option. I truly believe that these donations will go along way to further advance cancer treatments for all patients and move us away from these current options. 

During the month of November I participated in #Movember. This is my fifth time growing a moustache for a good cause. Check out the results! Movember focuses on men’s health. Thanks to all those that supported my #Movember challenge during the month of November. You all ROCK! I am so thankful for the support. I had to increase my goal four times during the month, thanks to the steady flow of donations. My original goals was $250. and I am pleased to report that I raised a total of $1020. for #Movember this year. Thank you! 

Ramer Wood Staff Support
Earlier this year, I attended the Terry Fox Run/Walk at my former school. I was overwhelmed with the support of students and staff that were running/walking to support cancer research. Even my former staff at my first school as principal, supported me during the walk. As you can imagine, it had a special meaning for me this year.  I was so blessed to have current and former staff and students place my name on their ‘I running for’ stickers. You will never know how much that meant to me. I am so blessed.  

Shout Outs!


On behalf of all cancer patients, I would like to give special shoutouts to all the medical professionals working to support cancer patients. On a personal note, I would like to thank all of the doctors, nurses, medical professionals and cancer volunteers (many of which have had a loved one who has had cancer) at Stronach Regional Cancer Centre at Southlake Regional Health Centre or your compassion and professionalism. It means more than you know. 

Our family has decided to participate in the Run for Southlake 5K Run/Walk on Sunday, April 26th, 2020 to support raising funds for the most urgently needed tools and equipment at Southlake. Things that the expert teams rely on to save lives and provide patients, family, friends and neighbours with the learning edge and compassionate care they deserve. We will tweet out our family donation team link once we have registered in the new year. We invite you to walk/run with us! This is our local hospital and local cancer centre. We are so fortunate to have these world class facilities in our community. #RunforSouthlake

Cancer Donations
If you have never donated or volunteered before, I would encourage you to do so. There are many different charities that need support to help battle cancer and provide much needed research money. Pick one that you would like to support! Cancer touches us all (either directly or indirectly through family and friends). Volunteering or providing a financial donation gets us one step closer to a cure. 

Keep laughing & smiling :)

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment