Friday, July 30, 2021

Home is where the heart is......

This week's blog is co-written by Michelle and myself, a new way to get the blog done on time and with some sort of coherence!   These pain medications sure do play tricks on the mind and I do find it hard to type and write a sentence.

I am fully switched over to palliative care now. Luckily they have a great unit and team of doctors to care for me and us right here in Newmarket. Which is such a blessing, being so close to home, and actually, in our home. So what exactly is palliative care? Up until this point, I didn't really understand it myself. 

Basically, palliative care starts when all other treatments and options have been unsuccessful and the focus of care is on comfort and maintaining the best quality of life for as long as you can.  It is a time for thinking and preparing for difficult decisions and moments, and for having the supports as they are needed in place, whether that is for personal care, nutrition, pain management and support for our family.  It takes great people to be able to work in this area - I really take my hat off to them - it can't be easy.  I also never realized how many people, roles and agencies were involved in the care of someone at home.  It is just amazing and that this seems to all come together.  Again, my thank you for the team at Southlake for their efforts on my behalf.

I am so pleased to still be at home and managed at home.  We are still sorting out the right balance of pain medication to help with my back pain, but also keep me well enough to be up and able to connect with my family.  Right now, I sleep a lot - I mean a lot and in sleep I have less pain, but I do not want to sleep my life away.  I do not have much of an appetite, but I do find that the sweets do go down pretty well!  Michelle has kept me in "butter tarts" and for that I am thankful LOL.

We have been working to get some visits in with family and friends as I can, and this has been so good for my morale.  For some reason I've lost my taste for coffee which is odd, but I love to get together with others and let them have coffee while we visit.

As we head into this long weekend, the last one of summer, treasure your family,  spend time together, and I know that you too will appreciate "there is no place like home".  

Home is where the heart is........

Richard & Michelle



1 comment:

  1. Richard - our family has been following your journey via blog since retirement from AMPS. We wanted to pass along the thoughts + support that myself, our kids (Caitlin + Adam), and my husband (Mike, parent council) have for you! You've always been such a kind, positive energy, and it's no surprise you find words to continue to share that out. Kudos indeed to the amazing teams you have supporting you & your family's journey; kudos to you also for finding ways to let light shine through you and recognizing the programs & people in them. All the best on your journey, we are thinking of you and your kin. ~ Sarah Giona

    ReplyDelete