Friday, August 6, 2021

Targeting Pain Relief

This week's blog is co-written by Michelle and Richard. 

It's been a longer week than normal for me.  I've spent most of the time sleeping in my bed upstairs and struggling to manage my various pains - in my back, in my neck, all over really.  Once it starts to gain hold, it's really hard to get back on top of it.  We have tried different drugs and treatments, and finally we think we have a solution in place to solve the pain issue.  One thing about pain meds is that they also make you sleepy, and also create other side effects and problems as outlined in my previous blog post, Pain in the @#$% !

This week has also saw progress in other ways - I now have a hospital bed on the main floor to make things a little easier for me, as well as a shower bench, a walker and a wheelchair (just in case I will need it).  I have a nurse coming in daily and she provides much needed care for me and support for Michelle.  She has been with me during these days of sorting out my pain and other symptoms and so it is very helpful to have this continuity of care.

In addition, my care has been streamlined.  My pain meds are now managed with a pain pump and my meds are cut down to just the essential things to give me comfort and care.  This has been very helpful as I've had a bit of nausea, so now we are by-passing that and the drugs get right where they need to be and when.  This takes a big burden off of us as we had a large number of pills and different timing to take them, so this is all much easier now.  Less running up and down the stairs for Michelle.  We also have our Dr. come to our home as well as other essential services, again making things easier and able to stay Home Sweet Home.

Though things have declined for me this week healthwise, there continues to be hope as other things get more manageable - such as my pain.  I had to cancel a number of visits this week with family and friends which was very hard for me to do.  Hopefully we can get these re booked over the coming weeks.
I'd also like to thank all of you who are dropping off goodies for our family - I've had a number of butter tart deliveries - how did you all know they are my favourite!   We really appreciate all of your efforts - life is so busy for all and that you took this time to bring us some sweetness is overwhelming.  

Sugar seems to give pain relief too!  As Mary Poppins would say " just a spoonful of sugar, helps the medicine go down" and it really does!

Richard & Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment